Still trying to figure out what to buy

Author: Josef Lowder
To: PLUG
Subject: Still trying to figure out what to buy
Thanks to all who responded to my recent request for
recommendations for the purchase of a new system.

Following is a recap of the suggestions I received so far:
- avoid onboard video (integrated on the motherboard)
- may not need a separate video card unless for games or video editing
- get a PCI sound card because onboard sound chips may not work
- Abit or Asus motherboards recommended
- Elitegroup motherboards
- Athlon processor with SiS chipset
- Antec True-Power 330w power supply is $50
- Asus A7N8X-X is $67
- OEM (no fan) Athlon XP2800+ is about $100
- Vantec copper heatsink/fan $27.50
- Seagate 7200 RPM 40GB HD is $54
- Artec burner $79 in recent Fry's ad

Online sources recommended to check out:
- www.outpost.com
- www.mwave.com
- www.pricewatch.com (for ballpark figures on parts costs)
- www.jncs.com for price quotes
- www.zipzoomfly.com

To get some prices for comparison, I check Walmart online and found:
Microtel "barebones" box with motherboard and Athlon XP processor $198.00
     (has 266 MHz frontside bus, 10/100 LAN, and onboard modem)
     or AMD 2.06 GHz Athlon XP 2400+ processor speed w/Fan for $118.00
256MB 266 MHz DDR Memory for $51.64
40GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive/5400RPM for $73.00
     or 80GB @ 7200RPM for $129.00
ATI TV Wonder VE video card for $32.84
Hawking internal PCI modem for $13.13
     or US Robotics internal PCI modem for $24.98
Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 PCI audio card for $29.63

At outpost.com, I found a barebones box for $229.00
that includes the following:
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton Bare CPU W/FIC AU13
Nvidia nForce2 3-in-1 chipset
Memory capacity up to 3GB PC3200 DDR
Expansion Slots: 1 (8x) AGP, 6 PCI
5.1 Channnel Audio, 10/100 Lan, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394
300W Power Supply

Also this motherboard offered for $109.99:
Asus A7N8X-E Socket A board with Nvidia nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset
Processor support: Up to Athlon XP 3200+
Memory support: Up to 3GB PC3200 DDR
Expansion slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI
6 Channnel Audio, GigaLan, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, RAID, Serial ATA

At this point, a barebones box seems like it might be a good starting point
(if it has an Asus or other acceptable motherboard). An Athlon processor
seems like a good choice. I think a 40-gig hd and 256-mb ram should be
enough for my needs. I don't know if a CD-RW / DVD combo is sufficient ...
and I don't know if I can get by with an onboard video board and sound
board? I have an external Multi-tech modem and extra CD-ROM drive I
could add in to the mix.

Any additional component recommendations from my PLUG friends?