Re: media won't play on RH8

Author: technomage
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: media won't play on RH8
your box insn't the problem and neither is redhat (for what it does).

redhat is more of an "office oriented" distro these days.

Still, there are some licensing issues when it comes to MP3's and AVI's and
other multimedia formats.

I have found using urpmi along with several mirrors for rpms can be of great
help in loading rpms that have diverse dependencies (I run mandrake here and
ran into that a while ago).

if you can get a list of dependencies, you can request they all be installed
by name using urpmi. its a lot like apt-get in its capability, though not
quite as user friendly or functional. still, for redhat, its a pretty good
command line tool.

also, what version of redhat are you using (this makes a difference in what
mirrors, etc you can get to without incurring dependency hell).

Technomage Hawke