Re: Gentoo on PowerPC

+ (application/pgp-signature)
Author: Bill Jonas
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Gentoo on PowerPC
On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:06:34AM -0700, Kevin wrote:
> Anyway, can you clarify? <dumb question> Is it possible to install
> Linux and OSX into separate partitions on a PowerBook and dual boot
> between them with Grub or something similar? I am assuming it's
> possible. </dumb question>

The Linux bootloader for Macs is called yaboot and it's similar in
function to LILO and Grub (to my understanding). It only works on
new-world machines, which is what a PB G4 is. From what I've read,
old-world machines (anything beige or earlier) require BootX (which
requires MacOS) or Quik (which, according to the Gentoo PPC FAQ, has
problems with GCC 3, but does not require MacOS).

I might try giving Gentoo or Debian a spin on this Mac I have. I made a
mistake earlier, I was trying Yellow Dog and not Gentoo. Strangely
enough, one of the two CDs #1 that I burned will mount and be read after
much whirring and other ado, but it still will not boot off of it.

--
Bill Jonas    *        *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step