Re: Gentoo on PowerPC

Author: Kevin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Gentoo on PowerPC
On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 12:27, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> > Anyway, can you clarify? <dumb question> Is it possible to install
> > Linux and OSX into separate partitions on a PowerBook and dual boot
> > between them with Grub or something similar? I am assuming it's
> > possible. </dumb question>
>
> The easiest way is to use Open Firmware. Just hold down one of the
> alt/option keys at boot and you will see icons for Linux and OS X.
> Click on the penguin. (I'm not kidding).

---------
Sounds too good to be true. ;~) How does that work? Does OpenFirmware
automatically recognize the operating systems installed in the different
partitions and offer the choice? Is there some configuration of
OpenFirmware that must take place so it knows what to offer? Keep in
mind I am coming from LILO/GRUB experience. Sounds like a whole
different approach.

So, when I bring home a G4 Powerbook from the Apple store, how do I
re-size the partitions to make room for Gentoo? Does OSX have a utility
for that? Or, do I need to boot a Gentoo LiveCD and use mac-fdisk to
delete and re-create partitions (in which case I'll be installing OSX
and Gentoo).
---------
> I don't want to start a distro war but *at first* I think you should
> start with Yellow Dog on PPC hardware simply because YDL is by far the
> most popular PPC Linux. There is a big community and you wont
> encounter issues that haven't been solved by others. Later you can
> move
> to another distro if YDL doesn't meet your needs for some reason.

---------
I'm also not one for distro wars. I'm happy to try just about any
distro. However, I will admit to being biased toward Gentoo recently.
---------