Re: Gentoo on PowerPC

Author: Kevin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Gentoo on PowerPC
On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 18:46, Bryce C wrote:
> I should clarify, mine is an iBook G3 (Early 2003), running OSX via
> dual-boot and MOL. Interesting.

Bryce, that is exactly what I am interested in. I am considering a
PowerBook G4, but I must be able to dual-boot between Gentoo and OSX
Panther. I know I can run several Linux distros on the PowerBook, but I
need to retain the ability to dual-boot into native OSX.

Researching this idea, I encountered that alarming note on Gentoo's
website.

Anyway, can you clarify? <dumb question> Is it possible to install
Linux and OSX into separate partitions on a PowerBook and dual boot
between them with Grub or something similar? I am assuming it's
possible. </dumb question>

My google searches are taking me in many different directions, but no
clear answers. A PowerBook G4 is a bit too expensive for the
"buy-it-and-try-it" plan I usually take.

Also, reading the MOL docs it looks like MOL is booting an OSX (or
MacOS) installation from a partition on the drive. Is that right? It
is clearly not a hardware emulation environment (like VMWare) where one
can install a "guest" OS within the VM. Am I getting close?

Thanks,
...Kevin