PLUG preferred newbie distro? (Was: Re: InstallFest decision…

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: PLUG preferred newbie distro? (Was: Re: InstallFest decisions)
Michael Havens wrote:
| On Friday 12 September 2003 07:14 pm, wrote:

|>As far as having a single desktop I think this would be a mistake. What
|>happens if someone brings in a p1 166, I do nto think that either kde or
|>gnome would be a good choice.
|>

| I guess you are correct but then you have to ask yourself how likely

it is
| that someone will bring one of them in.
| (You are correct if you are thinking that do not know what a p1 166 is)

These things are situational. If someone wanted to use a p1 166 as a
desktop that wasn't an LTSP, I would really question if we should be
install GNU/Linux on it without lots of disclaimers. The last thing we
want is a ton of junk on it bogged down and they leave with a bad taste
in their mouth. The other side is say install blackbox and they walk
away going GNU/Linux sucks... It is so plain. I guess what I am saying
is when someone brings antique hardware (lets face it a p166 is an
antique) the notion of "preferred" goes out the window and it becomes...
So what do you want to use this box for. :)

The thing I really like about Debian being a "preferred" distro, is it
runs on nearly every platform and comes barebones. So you could use the
"preferred" distro in this p166 case if it were Debian and install
blackbox or something. Also if you were doing a NAT/Router/Proxy type
box you could use "preferred" distro if Debian and not even install a
gui... Perhaps Red Hat is like that now, but for a while it was really
leaning towards "desktop or server" install.

- -Derek