PLUG preferred newbie distro? (Was: Re: InstallFest decision…

Author: Bill Nash
Subject: PLUG preferred newbie distro? (Was: Re: InstallFest decisions)
Michael raises a good point:
People tend to be indoctrinated with reinstalling when they come across a
problem with no simple solution.

One of my biggest gripes about the Windows and even Mac platforms, is
the inherent user blindness to internals that's part of the interface
design. Unix OS's expose the internals very easily, which is something
that made the transition to Unix from pre-DOS5/6 so easy.

As desktop environments for Linux evolve, some of this same blindness is
creeping in through poor design, when it really shouldn't. Even subtle
things like broken desktop icons or errors that go nowhere, we, as a user
group, should be spotting these when our newer users run across them and
passing them back up the chain. I mention newer users because some of
simply won't notice some of these quirks, and users transitioning from
Windows or Mac expect to see *some* result when they try something.

Perhaps it's time to start looking at changes to things like syslog and
raising its output into desktop user space.

- billn