PLUG preferred newbie distro? (Was: Re: InstallFest decision…

Author: Derek Neighbors
New-Topics: Desktop Icon Problem (Michael)
Subject: PLUG preferred newbie distro? (Was: Re: InstallFest decisions )
Michael Havens wrote:
| On Friday 12 September 2003 09:15 pm, George Gambill wrote:

|>Maybe (per Michael) we could have presentations (or papers) covering he
|>aftermath of the new relationship (based on distro selected).
|>

| I'll tell you of what I am talking about:

| I started a list of operations to follow whenever I find that I need to
| reinstall my system (if I do apt-get dist-upgrade it screws up x and I

don't
| know the command line) .

Why are you doing dist-upgrade opposed to upgrade? One way to solve
your X problem is...

cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.goodone when you have a
working X

then if Debian for some reason upgrades X and you choose to overwrite
the file during config, simply type cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.goodone
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to put a known good one there...

If using kdm,gdm or xdm do...
/etc/init.d/?dm restart (where ? is k,g or x)

if you are not using a display manager.. type
startx

| i also have other how-tos
| after I learn to how get the icons to work i'll add that to the list

You said that those icons were cdrom and floppy etc? If so you have to
mount those and they will work.

mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom
mount /dev/floppy /floppy

I think you can pickup a package to automount cd's and floppies... See
this lists archives.. I believe Jiva DeVoe asked the question some
months ago...

- -Derek