InstallFest decisions

Author: Derek Neighbors
New-Topics: SCO stuff - Negotiate what?
Subject: InstallFest decisions
Alan Dayley said:
>> I'd like for /InstallFest/ to stay /InstallFest/, though.
>
> Agreed. What happened to plugpresents.com? Do we still have that
> domain and can we still use it?

Personally I would like to see AZOTO step up and run isntallfests and
their site should be much more static based and good for holding the
materials about such things. (IMO)

For this event, plugpresents.com is a good alternative.

> Why? Free Software is about choice, why should we remove it? Granted,
> a newbie is not going to know what to choose. So, the PLUGger that is
> helping the install will choose for them based on the PLUGger's
> preference. I would suggest that the preferred desktop of the distro
> that is installed should be the desktop chosen. Installing Red Hat, use
> GNOME. Installing SuSE, use KDE. I prefer KDE on Red Hat but I'm just
> wierd. If I help install Red Hat for someone, I will leave it on GNOME
> because they probably will get better support from the Red Hat
> community that way.
>
> To phrase my question another way: What benefit do we, the InstallFest
> operators, get by installing only one desktop? I don't see one, myself.

The benefit is support. It is a LOT easier to support newbies if they are
running some sort of standard. I would like to see us try to not only
have a "preferred desktop", but a "preferred distribution" as well. That
doesn't mean we wont install things people want (i.e. we wouldnt remove
the choice), but for the person that says "I want Linux" and really knows
nothing more, we should be consistent on the distribution, desktop, window
manager etc we choose. (MHO)

Personal preference is Debian and KDE... This falls in line with our other
suggestion of Knoppix if the user isnt ready to lose their diskspace. I
am a big GNOME guy, but right now GNOME appears to be in too much flux.
(IMO)

-Derek