InstallFest decisions

Author: Alan Dayley
Subject: InstallFest decisions
Derek Neighbors wrote:

> Personally I would like to see AZOTO step up and run isntallfests and
> their site should be much more static based and good for holding the
> materials about such things. (IMO)

Good idea. I don't think AZOTO's site is up to that right now.

> For this event, plugpresents.com is a good alternative.

If not that, I will see about getting an easy link to a page in the
current PLUG site. Something in the index or other prominant place.

> The benefit is support. It is a LOT easier to support newbies if they are
> running some sort of standard. I would like to see us try to not only
> have a "preferred desktop", but a "preferred distribution" as well. That
> doesn't mean we wont install things people want (i.e. we wouldnt remove
> the choice), but for the person that says "I want Linux" and really knows
> nothing more, we should be consistent on the distribution, desktop, window
> manager etc we choose. (MHO)

But that all implies:
1-That the people supporting the newbies are aware of and experienced
with the preferred installation.
2-That these people supporting are a assumed/designated/quasi-official
group because those that don't use or know the preferred installation
will not be able help with the support.

I am not against having a group of voluteers taking on the responsiblity
of "first responders" to newbie support. It doesn't have to be a formal
thing, but having a preferred installation implies "preferred
supporters." If that is the way we want to go, fine.

Perhaps I should put up a poll on the web site to vote on which distro
the members use or prefer. The winner becomes the groups preferred
distro. Everyone would have to be honorable and vote only once. ;^)

On the other hand, I cannot think of a single instance when someone
approached the email list for help on a particular distro and did not
get it. We have very good representation of skills and experience in
the group. Is the depth of knowledge available for newbie support too
shallow for lack of a standard distro? I don't think so. But have been
wrong before.

> Personal preference is Debian and KDE... This falls in line with our other
> suggestion of Knoppix if the user isnt ready to lose their diskspace. I
> am a big GNOME guy, but right now GNOME appears to be in too much flux.
> (IMO)

Well, not having used Debian I may be blowing hot air here, but it
doesn't have the reputation for a newbie distro. Nor can I usually walk
into the local "Computer Stuff Emporium" and purchase a boxed copy of
Debian. I think we would have to pick a distro that newbies may easily
encounter outside of the Linux culture, like Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake,
Lindows (urk!) or Lycoris. I have seen all of these in stores.

I agree with KDE, however! :^)

Alan