OT: Gym Locker Theft, Live and Learn

Author: Ed Skinner
Subject: OT: Gym Locker Theft, Live and Learn
I know of at least one other reader of this list that goes to the sa=
me=20
gym (Bally's at Cave Creek and Cactus), hence this posting.
     Two credit cards were stolen from my wallet in my padlocked locker a=
t the=20
above gym on Saturday the 16th. The locker was padlocked before and after=
 the=20
theft and was not detected by me at the time. The theives (I'm assuming t=
here=20
was more than one person -- probably a "lookout" in addition to the "lock=
=20
pick" individual) used the two credit cards to chart $269.23 at Sports=20
Authority, $1900.00 (odd) at Best Buy, and another $1600.00 (odd) at Best=
 Buy=20
(dunno if it was the same store or not), and finally $416.00 at Sapporo=20
Japanese Restaurant in Scottsdale (to celebrate, no doubt). These charges=
=20
were all completed that same evening.
     Sunday morning (the 17th), the fraud department of one of the credit=
 card=20
companies telephoned us. (This was when we discovered that the cards were=
=20
missing.) The fraud department reviewed the recent charges and we identif=
ied=20
which ones were fraudulent. (If I'm not mistaken, because we did not know=
 the=20
cards had been stolen, we will not be liable for any charges, not even th=
e=20
token $50 amount. Anyone know how this works?) I then checked my wallet a=
nd=20
determined that another card was missing, called that company and, sure=20
enough, it was also being used fraudulently. (Half of the above charges w=
ere=20
on each of the two cards.)
     Here's what I'm guessing happened.
     My wife and I arrived at the gym at about 5:00PM on Saturday evening=
=2E=20
(Married folks "have no life" on Saturday night.) I change clothes and lo=
ck=20
(Masterlock combination lock -- I've since learned this is a really bad=20
choice because they are so common, and pick-able) my wallet and street=20
clothes. I am probably observed by one of the thieves who waits until I l=
eave=20
the locker room.
      Probably posting a lookout, or just proceeding on guts (as the gym=20
doesn't have a lot of people in it), the thief picks the lock and examine=
s my=20
wallet. He leaves the ATM card and, of the stack of three credit cards,=20
leaves the topmost one. He also leaves the small amount of cash I have. H=
e=20
takes only the two credit cards that are underneath another. Presumably t=
his=20
strategy is so I won't notice the theft. (And it works as planned.) He=20
relocks my locker and vacates the area. They leave the gym and use the cr=
edit=20
cards to buy stuff at stores that don't do a very good signature check.=20
(Someone suggested writing "ASK FOR ID" in the signature area of the card=
=20
instead of my signature -- would that help?) Finally, they ended the even=
ing=20
with lots of celebratory drinks and several rounds of sushi.
      Googling for "How to pick masterlock combination lock" turns up lot=
s of=20
hits. Although I was unable to open my own lock using the techniques list=
ed,=20
I figure it may just be a matter of practice.
      We're going to change our habits.
1) When going to the gym, take only driver's license, gym membership card=
, and=20
car ignition key. All other non-clothing items stay at home.
2) At the gym, keep these three items on my person while working out, in =
the=20
shower and the steam room. (I'm thinking some sort of bungie-cord wrist b=
and=20
and sealable plastic bag for the shower, and that in my pocket while work=
ing=20
out.)
3) Use a better (keyed) lock on the locker, regardless (and carry the key=
=20
while working out, etc.). [Brand/model suggestions?]
     We're *not* locking things in the car because I don't want to tempt =
a=20
thief to smash my windows. We'll park in a "highly visible" location (and=
 not=20
under a shade tree -- bummer!).

--=20
Ed Skinner, , http://www.flat5.net/