Kernel swap into Gentoo

Author: Bryce C
Subject: Kernel swap into Gentoo
--=-1zY2xPfNnM0W6k8CG9Nu

This is a tricky thing to do. I've done it about three times and never
lost whatever I've needed because I backed up everything except:
/bin
/boot
/dev
/lib
/opt
/usr
/var
because those will all be replaced with newer, greater stuff. Also, note
I don't "copy over" anything. This way, I can merge the backups and
their configuration with files for the newest version. Not to mention,
having all the old, useless configs will be a pain when you're looking
to configure something and there's the gentoo copy and the previous copy
and you don't know which is which.
I don't want my AIM on the internet though (googled archives) so I'll IM
you with it. I'll be more than happy to help convert you to the "right"
side (I'm biased, ok?) in the afternoons and weekends, though you may
have some competition soon with classes starting back up and their
homework.