Question regarding Linux kernels 2.2 and 2.4

Author: Craig White
Subject: Question regarding Linux kernels 2.2 and 2.4
Thomas Mondoshawan Tate wrote:

> Anybody notice the abundance of people holding on and still patching the
> older 2.2 kernels? I've been rather curious about this for a while -- didn't
> say much about it because I thought it was a fluke or something. Isn't the
> existance of the 2.4 kernels saying that the experimental 2.3 kernels have
> reached a stable version?

------------
1. I think that the slowly developing information on iptables has
lessened peoples enthusiasm for using it as a router but I see that
situation changing

2. Many of the newer hardware devices were back ported - USB for example
to the late 2.2-x kernels

3. A lot of the maturing stuff of interest...

- Samba 2.2x
- KDE 2.2
- Koffice 1.1 <--- Kurt this is August 15th ;-)

etc will undoubtedly need newer versions of the various libraries which
will push people wanting to use them to upgrade.

----
btw - has everyone seen this story about Largo FL? Seems south Florida
has found other outlets for their energy other than counting hanging
chads.

<http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/08/10/1441239>

Craig