RE: networking question

+ (text/html)
Author: Carruth, Rusty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: networking question
First, the last question - yes, someone decided it was better to not have eth0 any more, so now they are those weird enp4s1 names.

It’s ok once you get used to it, I guess, but it’s a small pain getting used to. (There are things you can do to make it go back to eth0, but that may cause more issues than just living with it).

My first thought was - does he have a 100MBs port in there somewhere. E.g. someone installed a 10/100 switch or hub between your computer and your Comcast DSL (I assume) line - and that includes the modem. (I had mine increased over 100 a while back, but only got 100 until I got a new modem that wasn’t 10/100! … oops)

There are ways in Linux to force the speed lower, but that’s unlikely to be your issue. Did someone come in to the house and add a hub so they can capture all your traffic? (Yes, that’s somewhat on the paranoid side, but it WOULD explain the sudden 100MBs limit)