Re: networking question

+ (text/html)
Author: Jim
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: networking question

On 09/05/2018 09:34 PM, Michael Butash wrote:
> How exactly are you testing your connection?  That's a relevant bit
> regarding networking.  If testing in phoenix, test a LA
> California-based server, as most cox residential egresses there.  I
> like Race Communications out of LA to test against on speedtest.net
> <http://speedtest.net>.  Anything else hits interstate transit, more
> than cox already does dumping you out LA peering points.
>
> Your host nic can handle line rate, and so can the kernel in most
> cases, really the question is your transport and the applications
> using it.
>
> If using a speedtest.net <http://speedtest.net> sort of test, then
> ymmv with the server you're testing against..  If dealing with
> comcast, I don't know their peering infrastructure as much as cox's,
> but they're not typically local, and probably transport you to another
> state for egress.  This isn't much different from cox, they dump you
> out LA or Dallas, usually the former than latter, only cbs and other
> direct peering relations egress actually in phoenix.  Post a
> traceroute to 8.8.8.8 if you want some recommendations to test against
> for real world usage.

I live about 30 miles north of Knoxville, a place called Jacksboro.The
server I've been testing is one Comcast has in Nashville,
speedtest.xfinity.com.  If I go to speedtest.net, I usually get a
comcast server in Nashville.  I've used netwatch to find whether or not
they're the same server (they're not), but I get similar results.  Back
in June when I was getting 150 Mbps, I did speed tests with both servers
and got results at least 50 Mbps faster than I get now.

> Look at your modem levels too.  You can hit your moto/arris modem on
> http://192.168.100.1 url to see your modem levels, this has existed
> since 2000 or so with the advent of docsis and motorola not sucking.
> SNR, RX/TX power are what you want to look at, and plenty of
> wikipedias about docsis to explain tolerances.  If not within
> tolerance, call the provider to start digging and replace coax as
> necessary.

The SNR for all 8 downstream channels is 39dB.  The power level for each
is -3dBmV.
Tx power for all 3 upstream channels is 48 dBmV.  i've looked it up and
anything i've seen says these levels are ok.

> Every few years my cable gets crappy, and I have to call them to help
> me dig up and replace bits of either the yard or house to replace.
> Arizona is hell on coax with suck-out and other syndromes of extreme
> heat-based dysfunction.  Expect your levels to go to hell every 3-4
> years in arizona with coax.

I know.  I used to work with a guy who installed sprinkler systems. One
day we were putting in system.  He was using the trench digging
machine.  It was throwing up rocks and dirt when it suddenly started
throwing up bits of RG6.

> HTH!

It does. Thanks.

The cable here is strung up on poles.  The cable tv rarely goes out, and
the internet is reliable if not as fast as it should be.  The power goes
out at least once every two weeks no matter the weather. It's out for an
hour or so at a time.  The power company blames it on the squirrels.
Apparently they like the taste of power lines better than the flavor of
tv cable.

The dinosaur I'm writing this on used to be a Dell Inspiron 550.  I
don't use the built in ethernet adapter because it's 100 Mbit.  One day
I may get ambitious and try bonding the two interfaces together.  My
next step will be to ask a friend to bring his laptop over, plug it into
my router and see what speed it gets.