Re: networking question

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: networking question
Levels seem decent, so doesn't seem to be an issue with the transport.

Have you tried bypassing your router and dhcp direct to the internet? I've
heard older consumer routers are having a hard time keeping up with now
typical 100mbps speeds, maybe it's just getting long in the tooth there too.

Otherwise, it *is* comcast, the most consumer unfriendly isp out there, and
loves to use packet shapers to throttle users down. Perhaps they don't
like your using all your bandwidth and feel you need less, as they tend to
do this with netflix, youtube, and other bandwidth intensive applications
already.

It could just be peering congestion too, I've seen it with cox here
periodically. I can usually tell running an mtr to something like
google.com, and watching for packet-loss and increased latency at the
different peering hops. I tend to call a buddy that works there to harass
him why their service sucks, and tend to hear back on some bandwidth
augmentation processes going as a result, though ymmv with standard support
as they'll have no idea, so just escalate otherwise if you see something
like.

-mb