Re: networking question

+ (text/html)
Author: Jim
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: networking question
On 09/06/2018 12:20 PM, Michael Butash wrote:
> Levels seem decent, so doesn't seem to be an issue with the transport.
>
> Have you tried bypassing your router and dhcp direct to the internet?
> I've heard older consumer routers are having a hard time keeping up
> with now typical 100mbps speeds, maybe it's just getting long in the
> tooth there too.

Yes but that made no difference.

> Otherwise, it *is* comcast, the most consumer unfriendly isp out
> there, and loves to use packet shapers to throttle users down.
> Perhaps they don't like your using all your bandwidth and feel you
> need less, as they tend to do this with netflix, youtube, and other
> bandwidth intensive applications already.

I've heard about the time 10 or 11 years ago they spoofed packets to
kill bittorrent sessions as soon as they were started.  They denied it
repeatedly until somebody had done the research and caught them in the
act.  My own experience with them and this message from you inspired me
to put this picture I found recently.  I host it on a dinosaur somebody
gave me.  http://ladmo.asuscomm.com/comcast.html

> It could just be peering congestion too, I've seen it with cox here
> periodically.  I can usually tell running an mtr to something like
> google.com <http://google.com>, and watching for packet-loss and
> increased latency at the different peering hops.  I tend to call a
> buddy that works there to harass him why their service sucks, and tend
> to hear back on some bandwidth augmentation processes going as a
> result, though ymmv with standard support as they'll have no idea, so
> just escalate otherwise if you see something like.

I've asked a friend to bring his laptop over so I can rule out any
hardware issues with my computer.  I've already sent a complaint to a
page comcast has on their site for customer complaints.  Those people
usually get things done, but this time they've forwarded my problem to
something they call the regional executive team. If the results with the
friend's laptop don't show a fault at my end, I'll complain to the FCC.
I've read about others who didn't get satisfaction until they complained
to them, then comcast became ever so eager to make the customer happy.

Thank to you Michael and everyone else who offered their advice.