Re: networking question

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: networking question
Agreed, if comcast provides a testing server, test against that first. Cox
did before, not sure about recently, but speedtest.net isn't bad to use to
test either if you pick a correct server. They tend to want to test you
against your locale, but as stated, understanding your isp peering egrees
isn't local is important in picking a suitable server.

I was testing out of LA area a customer with Race Communications out of LA
to a good 3-4gb on a local 10gb peer connection there, so I tend to dig for
them when testing locally in phx or ca. The isp gave me an iperf server to
test to, that I'd hit ~9gbps on a pipe to, so not bad for testing the
interwebs at large.

Otherwise, if your isp is cool with firing up an iperf server too, that's
the real way to test if at line-rate or better of your circuit. Check tcp
and udp connections, and hold them to their sla's. Jperf works nice for
gui-based folks, otherwise download iperf3 and rip away when users aren't
on your pipes. I've hit gig of gig (~993mbps) on windoze using gig usb
nics + iperf even.

-mb