Re: Fediverse for May topic

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Stephen Partington
Subject: Re: Fediverse for May topic
So the idea is to be able to join your own or your buddy's social media
site, and then it syncs to others. all the content and activity is still on
that main server, but people from other servers can still subscribe to you
from wherever they are logged in. and then this subscription is handed back
and forth when called/requested between the different services.

So your feed can pull content from just one server or 50 depending on your
subscriptions. but you still only have to deal with one social location. a
lot like a really pretty and interactive RSS feed, so you can use this for
news info, social updates whatever you want.

On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 8:59 AM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> Hi Went to what I think is the "main" website and it said:
>
> Fediverse social network differs from mainstream platforms (Facebook,
> Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc). Mainstream platforms concentrate
> millions of users on one website, where they control all the
> decision-making, enforce censorship, and hoard users' data for
> commercial profit and spying. Fediverse platforms, on the other hand,
> are developed by a community of people from all over the world,
> independent from any company or official institution. You are free to
> register on any Fediverse website you like. You can choose the person
> who will be in charge of your data - the administrator of your server.
> If you have technical knowledge, you can administrate your own server
> for your friends and family, connecting with thousands of other
> independent servers across the web. Fediverse is an autonomous universe
> where power and data are decentralized and scattered across multiple
> lands.
>

> So how is Fediverse used? I am not active on any Social Media.... how
> do I leverage this service?
>
> Thanks!!
> Keith
>

> On 2024-05-08 23:37, der.hans via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> > moin moin,
> >
> > I updated my Fediverse talk for LinuxFest Northwest, but we had some
> > technical difficulties and I didn't get through the whole thing, so I'm
> > reprising it for tomorrow's PLUG meeting.
> >
> > "Mastodon and the Fediverse: Decentralized Social Networking and
> > Services"
> >
> > Still in Big Blue Button at 19:00.
> >
> > https://lufthans.bigbluemeeting.com/plu-yuk-7xx
> >
> > https://floss.social/@FLOX_advocate/112409734846295432
> >
> > Stammtisch is a week from Tuesday at Boulders on Southern, also at
> > 19:00.
> >
> > ciao,
> >
> > der.hans

Stephen