Re: Domain Registering and Hosting/Website Funny Business

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: Domain Registering and Hosting/Website Funny Business
On Sat, 2022-07-23 at 07:12 -0700, Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss wrote:

> The thing I am really wondering about is how this dude was able to
> transfer my friends website and content from my friend's hosting to his
> hosting.  This has to be a copyright violation.  What say you?

I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure it's a copyright violation. If your friend has
a registered copyright on the site's contents, I'm pretty sure he can sue for $10K,
no questions asked. If it's not registered, it might not be worth it to sue.

Like I say, I'm not a lawyer, so consult one before making a move.

By the way, every once in a while some birdbrain wget's whole subsites of
Troubleshooters.Com and hosts it. When I find those, I email them telling them
they'd better take it down immediately.

SteveT