Re: Domain Registering and Hosting/Website Funny Business

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Re: Domain Registering and Hosting/Website Funny Business

On 2022-07-22 19:01, Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> In my experience, when a domain goes up for grabs, the registrar
> basically usurps it and auctions it off with first right of refusal
> having it under their stewardship in the first place as registrar. I
> saw this with butash.com [1], of which I own .net and .org, but the
> dude that owned .com was old, and I think died finally. I had a
> godaddy domain update and saw it go up for sale as an auction on
> verisign, where he had it registered all these years (guess he never
> heard he could get a much better deal elsewhere). Some dude outbid me
> for like 700 bucks, said screw it, not that much worth it. Some year
> or so later had a buddy hit him up (so as not from butash.net [2] for
> obvious value), but the scab came back "we'll start bidding at $35K".
> He's been sitting on it since as I didn't put his kids through college
> and apparently no one else in my lineage has either.

There is a couple domains I'd like to get that are being held w/o being
used. A domain is only what someone is willing to pay for it.

> So yes, verisign, godaddy, etc will all grab your shiz and sell it out
> from under you if they can, then the domain hoarder scabs soak them up
> hoping someone wants it back bad enough. Vermin, the whole lot, like
> zombies roaming the streets for brains. I was working at godaddy when
> Parsons figured out it'd be a huge market to do domain auctions and
> started that back in the day. I thought it was scummy having worked
> for him then, and didn't work for him much longer after.

I worked for GD in the very early days. Learned a lot and got a bunch
of experience talking tech to non-technical people. Helped me
tremendously when I started freelancing. The GD experience was hell
though. Back then they fired people for little cause and the call center
manager was a bully.

The thing I am really wondering about is how this dude was able to
transfer my friends website and content from my friend's hosting to his
hosting. This has to be a copyright violation. What say you?