Re: Domain Registering and Hosting/Website Funny Business

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: techlists
CC: Michael Butash, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Domain Registering and Hosting/Website Funny Business
If the evildoers got the content lock stock and barrel, they broke in
somehow. If someone hijacked the domain, and setup emails to reverse
acquire accounts bound to it, then sure, they could do almost whatever via
password resets. Who actually uses 2fa?

The alternative is someone cloned the site, which if basic is theoretically
possible, but if something like wordpress with a db backend, he got gaffled
somehow. Reverse engineer how they broke into all the accounts, but see
above. It's enough to spook someone into paying up probably, when all they
did was clone the content, which is probably doable via various archival
crawling methods ala google spiders and wayback machine.

-mb