Re: Domain Registering and Hosting/Website Funny Business

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Re: Domain Registering and Hosting/Website Funny Business

On 2022-07-23 01:21, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-07-22 at 18:45 -0700, Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a friend who owned http://www.nationwidedr.com/ .  It expired
>> along with his hosting while he was in the hospital.
>>
>> I get the domain was available to be registered.
>>
>> Here is the interesting part.  Somehow the new domain owner also was
>> able to get his WordPress website complete with all of his business
>> content.  It appears not to have been changed.
>
> This is technically possible, but I'm pretty sure it's a copyright
> violation on the
> part of the new domain owner.
>
> As far as the domain itself, you snooze you lose. The LEAP-CF LUG in
> Orlando lost
> its domain and it proved too expensive to get it back. Same happened to
> VimOutliner.Org.

I get my friend was negligent. For any domain that one values it should
be registered for 10 years.

> LOL, on the other hand, my buddy had RepairProcess.Com (I have
> Troubleshooters.Com,
> so I think you can see the relation). When he decided to let it go, he
> asked me if I
> wanted it and I said no, so he just let it lapse. A couple years later
> I figured,
> what the heck, it's only fifteen bucks, so I grabbed it and still have
> it. Sometimes
> abandoned domains just sit there.

Both are really good domains.

I used to wants domains, kind of like a hobby. I did not expand much
time, however I was able to scoop up a few nice ones. I really try to
limit the number of domains I hold because I can only do so many
projects.