Looking for Advice: mount --bind or symbolic link?

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Phillips via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Mark Phillips
Subject: Looking for Advice: mount --bind or symbolic link?
I tried to upgrade my computer from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04, and
something messed up. No worries, I had a backup, so I wiped out the old
18.04 and installed 20.04. I have 2 drives in the system: 1 TB and 4TB. The
1 TB has 20.04 installed and the 4 TB has the backup from the old 18.04
system. I mounted the 4TB drive at /4TB.

I think I have 2 options:
* In /etc/fstab: mount /4TB/backup/home/mark /home/mark none bind
* create a symbolic link from /home/mark to /4TB/backup/home/mark (assuming
/home/mark is empty)

Which would you recommend?

Not sure if it matters, but what do I do with the system? Python
development in virtualenvs (some machine learning as well), Java
development, video editing, graphics editing, spreadsheets, documents,
browsing, etc.

Thanks!

Mark