krita, acer, samsung

Author: der.hans via PLUG-discuss
To: quatsch
CC: der.hans
Subject: krita, acer, samsung
moin moin,

I picked up an Acer 2 in 1 with touchpad for kid. We really needed to
finally replace the laptop that had been gravity tested a few times at the
beginning of the pandemic.

First thing kidling wanted was to install Krita ( much disappointment that
it wasn't on there by default ). Many hours have now been spent
discovering how to use a stylus.

My wife is an analog artist, but likes what she's been seeing, so now I
need two devices that can use stylii.

I had picked up the Acer from Woot and they immediately ran some Samsungs
for less money. The Acer requires a little bit of a bios dance to get
running with debian ( and a non-free ethernet driver ), but has otherwise
been great and much better than the dell we're replacing.

A similarly priced Samsung is similar for features, but I don't really
compare hardware specs anymore since I don't often buy hardware.

Acer:
* 10th Gen Intel Core i5-1035G4
* 8GB LPDDR4
* 256GB NVMe

Samsung:
* 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8565U
* 16GB
* 512GB SSD

There's also a Samsung for $200 less

10th Generation Quad-Core i7-10510U
12GB DDR4 SDRAM
512GB SSD
no USB C :(

I like the idea of more RAM, but the family doesn't really need that. They
don't run containers and databases and test deployments on laptops. Seems
a waste to me :).

They need pretty decent hardware ( we should have far less drop-testing as
that lesson has been learned ), with a decent touchscreen that will work
for a while. They do need computers they draw on rather than tablets they
compute on. They will be running debian ( or derivative if we must ).

Links:

https://computers.woot.com/offers/acer-spin-5-convertible-laptop-3?ref=w_cnt_wp_3_6

https://computers.woot.com/offers/samsung-notebook-9-pro13-3-i7-2-in-1z?ref=w_cnt_wp_5_8

https://computers.woot.com/offers/samsung-galaxy-book-flip-fold-laptop?ref=w_cnt_wp_5_3

Also, an opportunity to podcast as root:

https://computers.woot.com/offers/sudotack-usb-streaming-podcast-pc-microphone-1?ref=w_cnt_wp_3_1

ciao,

der.hans
--
# https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
# "Civilisation is a race between education and catastrophe" -- H.G. Wells