Re: Password managers

+ (text/html)
Author: Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Eric Oyen
Subject: Re: Password managers
Too bad there isn’t an equivalent to apples keychain access. Through the cloud account, I can synch passwords among all my apple devices (can’t do so with either linux or windows. Then again, I use that utility as a backup for my brain. So far, I have 307 memorized passwords in my head. :)

Btw, here is the scheme (or it’t equivalent) that I use:

Take a profession or hobby, I will use tandem bicycling as a working example. Combine those into 1 word: tandembicycling and then use l337 on it, like thus: 74nd3m8!cyc1!n6

Now, for those sites I might want to be on (lets use www.4chan.org as an example) I will drop the www. And use the rest with l337 applied: Ach4n.0r6.

Now, I combine them:
74nd3m8!cyc1!n6Ach4n.0r6

Because I can keep the first part consistent and the second part is like a reminder from the site, you see how easy it gets to memorize so many. :) My password scheme is a bit more involved as I go with no less than 25 characters and include something within the site that most people won’t notice. Oh, and yes, don’t forget the use of capitals. With 95 available characters with lengths equal to or longer than 25 characters, these passwords can be very difficult to break under the best of circumstances. I should know, I tried once when I accidentally fat fingered a password on my old Mac. Took me 3 months to figure it out. The program I was using (Jack the Ripper) stated it would take some 138 trillion years give or take to solve it. Oh, and just for giggles, I got some time on a very large computing cluster designed to break huge passwords. After 6 months, they couldn’t break it.

Now, this is just a sample of what and how I do some things. The above isn’t the end result. I have since added 2 steps that make things even more complicated.

So, what do you think?

-Eric
From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Esoteric Security tokens Dept.