Re: Modular laptop concept

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Stephen Partington
Subject: Re: Modular laptop concept
My current main is a Thinkpad T-15g and while it currently runs windows
(Shortsights drive choice at the moment) it has been a decent machine so
far. 4 Dimm slots, i9, RTX 2070 MaxQ, 2x2280 M.2, and some funky PCIe slot
that is apparently a weird variant on an m.2 key B slot. Aside from a tad
under in the cooling department I am reasonably happy with it. Part I like
the most is that the GPU is a standard MXM slot (if not size/shape/etc) so
it can be swapped. Something like this could make for a more modular system
in the future and I would love to see it.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 6:36 AM Matthew Crews via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> On 2/26/21 7:16 PM, Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> > I mostly think of thinkpads as chinese crap-gadgets anymore since ibm
> > discarded the brand name to lenovo. I have one from my current
> > customer, a T14, I7 proc, dock, etc, and not a bad box - other than it
> > runs windoze that I can't simply blast and put linux on (outside a vm I
> > run on it). I don't really know that I trust it much, to me it's a dumb
> > windoze box to do dumb windoze crap that only works on windoze for them.
>
> You and me have different experiences with modern Thinkpads then. I have
> an E580 from 2018, and I bought a touch screen variant for my father in
> law a year ago. Both run Linux just fine out of the box (though mine I
> replaced the crappy Broadcom wifi card with an Intel one), no fuss, no
> mess. I have ran everything from Slackware to Fedora, and even ran
> FreeBSD on them without an issue.
>
> What sold me on Thinkpad is the repairability of them. Maybe not so much
> anymore with soldered in RAM, but at least the one I bought has easily
> replaceable components.
>
> I hope this modular laptop works out, but they're going to run into an
> economy of scale problem. If they can get past that, here's hoping they
> do well.
>
> -Matt

Stephen