My current main is a Thinkpad T-15g and while it currently runs windows (Shortsights drive choice at the moment) it has been a decent machine so far. 4 Dimm slots, i9, RTX 2070 MaxQ, 2x2280 M.2, and some funky PCIe slot that is apparently a weird variant on an m.2 key B slot. Aside from a tad under in the cooling department I am reasonably happy with it. Part I like the most is that the GPU is a standard MXM slot (if not size/shape/etc) so it can be swapped. Something like this could make for a more modular system in the future and I would love to see it.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 6:36 AM Matthew Crews via PLUG-discuss <plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
On 2/26/21 7:16 PM, Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> I mostly think of thinkpads as chinese crap-gadgets anymore since ibm
> discarded the brand name to lenovo.  I have one from my current
> customer, a T14, I7 proc, dock, etc, and not a bad box - other than it
> runs windoze that I can't simply blast and put linux on (outside a vm I
> run on it).  I don't really know that I trust it much, to me it's a dumb
> windoze box to do dumb windoze crap that only works on windoze for them.

You and me have different experiences with modern Thinkpads then. I have
 an E580 from 2018, and I bought a touch screen variant for my father in
law a year ago. Both run Linux just fine out of the box (though mine I
replaced the crappy Broadcom wifi card with an Intel one), no fuss, no
mess. I have ran everything from Slackware to Fedora, and even ran
FreeBSD on them without an issue.

What sold me on Thinkpad is the repairability of them. Maybe not so much
anymore with soldered in RAM, but at least the one I bought has easily
replaceable components.

I hope this modular laptop works out, but they're going to run into an
economy of scale problem. If they can get past that, here's hoping they
do well.

-Matt

A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

Stephen