Re: Modular laptop concept

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: Modular laptop concept
I mostly think of thinkpads as chinese crap-gadgets anymore since ibm
discarded the brand name to lenovo. I have one from my current customer, a
T14, I7 proc, dock, etc, and not a bad box - other than it runs windoze
that I can't simply blast and put linux on (outside a vm I run on it). I
don't really know that I trust it much, to me it's a dumb windoze box to do
dumb windoze crap that only works on windoze for them.

I considered a thinkpad for a bit before I bought my last xps15 dell, but
1) price killed the notion (you'd think they'd be cheaper being owned in
china), 2) I don't really trust they're up to par with old ibm-based
thinkpads, and 3) simply don't trust them at all. Everything is made in
china these days true, but still rather not invest directly in china, trust
they aren't adding some snoop hardware ala the Supermicro hardware fiasco,
and simply take the blue pill.

I agree this frame.work laptop concept is probably a long-shot, but the
notion is novel. Not seen one like the framework, but likewise burned on
kickstarters and such, I mostly avoid them all together. Here's to hope
for better days I suppose.

My old xps15 9560 still holds up currently after upgrading to 64gb of ram
(and a new battery recently) every day, so while I probably could use a new
laptop, it works fine to fidget too much to get a new one. I've been
watching for a sleek ryzen/epic amd laptop, and will probably wait for that.

-mb

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 6:52 PM Aaron Jones via PLUG-discuss <