Re: Modular laptop concept

Author: Matthew Crews via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Matthew Crews
Subject: Re: Modular laptop concept
On 2/26/21 7:16 PM, Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> I mostly think of thinkpads as chinese crap-gadgets anymore since ibm
> discarded the brand name to lenovo.  I have one from my current
> customer, a T14, I7 proc, dock, etc, and not a bad box - other than it
> runs windoze that I can't simply blast and put linux on (outside a vm I
> run on it).  I don't really know that I trust it much, to me it's a dumb
> windoze box to do dumb windoze crap that only works on windoze for them.

You and me have different experiences with modern Thinkpads then. I have
an E580 from 2018, and I bought a touch screen variant for my father in
law a year ago. Both run Linux just fine out of the box (though mine I
replaced the crappy Broadcom wifi card with an Intel one), no fuss, no
mess. I have ran everything from Slackware to Fedora, and even ran
FreeBSD on them without an issue.

What sold me on Thinkpad is the repairability of them. Maybe not so much
anymore with soldered in RAM, but at least the one I bought has easily
replaceable components.

I hope this modular laptop works out, but they're going to run into an
economy of scale problem. If they can get past that, here's hoping they
do well.

-Matt