Re: pulseaudio, analog sound output, and WHAT?

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: pulseaudio, analog sound output, and WHAT?
On 2020-11-21 23:56, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 07:58:17 -0700
> Matt Graham wrote:
>> The firefox developers have basically said, "The microphone on your
>> computer won't work at all unless you use pulseaudio."[0]
> There's a simple executable called apulse that gives pulseaudio
> facilities to its argument. For instance:
> apulse firefox

This was the first thing I tried. It didn't work.

> The preceding runs firefox with pulseaudio underneath, but that
> pulseaudio is invisible to everything else on your system.

Not really. apulse messes with LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that its arguments
see a "fake" libpulse.so which acts as a pass-through to ALSA. This is
supposed to work in some fashion, but it didn't for me. I think this is
actually because on Gentoo, apulse and pulseaudio cannot be installed at
the same time. Also because there is apparently a thing you have to do
that was never explained properly in the documentation that I read: You
have to do "patchelf --set-rpath /usr/lib64/apulse
/usr/lib64/firefox/libxul.so" (or wherever your libxul.so file is.)

I'd try this, but everything works properly now and rebuilding firefox
takes 2 hours.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity