Re: PfSense + ubiquity

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Donald Mac McCarthy
CC: Michael Butash, Seabass, Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
Subject: Re: PfSense + ubiquity
Cox modems *are* bridges first and foremost typically, unless you get a
bundled router/modem, which is only what CenturyLink sells. If you got a
"router/modem" combo, just buy a modem-only device for a dumb bridge and
simple ethernet for a public ip. I recommend staying with an arris cable
modem, originally motorola, they basically developed cable modem docsis,
and are always the best.

I moved from Cox to CL when Cox started adding a usage cap, and that was
new to me to get my Fortinet firewall online with CL and their DSL doing
PPPOE. I've seen the router/cable modem combo boxes later, but never owned
one as I always have my own router/firewall.

-mb