Re: question about Java

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: question about Java
OpenJDK and Oracle JRE are two very different beasts. Most java software
is developed against Oracle Java, and if so, rarely I find they ever work
on OpenJDK.

Look up switching to "oracle jre" on your system, Java 8 as they want. I
had to figure this out on my arch system recently, ubuntu should just have
to install it, and switch the system to use it, just forget how now. If
nothing else, start with "apt search oracle jre".

Nothing Java ever amounts to any good I've found after ~20 years of it, I
try to use Java as little as possible, scorning any software and hardware
(ahem, Cisco) that uses it still. Anything Java behaves badly under linux
for me, and the only thing java app I suffer is JBidwatcher for ebay
sniping deals. It behaves badly, randomly, but still the only darn thing I
can find like it free.

-mb

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 9:50 AM Michael via PLUG-discuss <