Re: standalone mic

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: standalone mic
If it comes with a dongle, it's likely not bluetooth, thus why it works
better.

Even though natively 99.9% of dongles today use 2.4ghz, they are not all
the same, and definitely not bluetooth. I have a gaggle of these for
logitech, kensington, and others for my usage, none bluetooth. If
bluetooth, it should be generic. Should, like ass-u-me, but still.

I went through this where I was helping out with lync deployments in an
enterprise years ago, and various headset devices, including native mac
book speakers would work like crap with ms lync (go figure). Lync
certifies their devices to use a particular low-latency, low-loss codec to
do this for usb devices, but were certainly not bluetooth, and if they are
bluetooth, need to conform generically to the version (1.0, 2.1, 3.0, 4.0,
5.0, etc). If you don't conform to the microsoft codec (and their
licensing), you don't get recommended/certified for enterprise
lync/skype/teams/whatever of theirs to be sold in business.

If it comes with a dongle, the dongle likely just looks like a sound device
to the os, it doesn't care about the wireless here, and stays blissfully
ignorant of hardware doing so. Most vendors still prefer this for this
reason, they don't have to worry about the os software stack, which with
bluetooth has been shaky even on windoze.

Bluetooth itself is a set of hardware api's defined to the protocol, but
otherwise offer generic attributes for various other protocol interfactions
per OS, like mouse, keyboard, or audio. If bluetooth, it *should* be
generic for your pc for any hardware, or as much as your OS supports
(linux==crap typically). Biggest difference in bluetooth is client/server
hardware device codec support for things like apples itunes lot, aptx for
hifi if not apple, or some low-grade 128kb codec for audio being sent.

It gets more interesting as lots of things use BT GATT generic attribute
profiles, and this is how most BT devices get hacked through generic
protocols and overflows in the os stack.

-mb