Re: WiFi extension question

+ (text/html)
Author: Eric Oyen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: WiFi extension question
If the range extender or the router supports bridging mode via the WAN port, then yes. Otherwise, it will depend on the device and it’s internal firmware. I have actually setup a router to do this very thing wherein it’s wan port was on a dedicated line to another router. That router was, in turn, acting as the DHCP server on for it’s LAN ports. The Wi-fi from that router was then bridged to another Wi-fi access point that had direct connection to the internet. This basically allowed me to have a router at one end of the house as the primary, use the secondary device as a bridge to a dedicated link to the third access point, which behaved exactly like an AP. Thus, I was able to have a Wi-Fi bridge that connected one end point to another. I had this arrangement for quite a while as I didn’t have any LAN cables of sufficient length to reach from the garage area to the opposite end of the house. I did, however, have a short (10 foot) LAN cable that allowed me to feed from the bridge Wi-Fi device to the end of LAN cable AP located outside in the garage area. Also, as there was available power out there, I didn’t have to worry about POE. Also, I used the 5 Ghz band as the bridge link and the Wi-fi B/G/N 2.4 Ghz band for the AP only. Most of the rest of the house here is wired up, so I didn’t have need of a Wi-Fi AP inside.

BTW< that outside AP was for guests who had the password and I also required their MAC address in order to allow them to connect. No way am I going to run anything out there unsecured. Also, that end point AP is connected to a VPN server, so there is no access to anything else inside the lan from that device. If anyone wants access to my internal LAN, I wish them luck as they will have to tap in via hard wire..

-Eric
From the central offices of the Technomage Guild, Infrastructure Maintenance dept.