Re: replacing Windows w/ Linux

+ (text/html)
Author: Kevin Fries
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: replacing Windows w/ Linux
One thing every Linux user knows is that not all software is created equal.  While I find some of the standard tools we use (like InkScape, and Gimp) to be actually better than most paid options in Windows (sure some of the expensive graphical tools will exceed the Linux tools, but the mid-range and low cost ones are often better in Linux).

However there are some tools that really have no replacement.  Visio is one of the best known ones.  One trick I have used with great success is RDesktop with SeamlessRDP.  Rather than running windows as a VirtualBox and trying to move back and forth.  You can actually have windows programs (running in a VM in the background) appear on your desktop like first class Linux apps.

Works really, really well if you take the time to set it up right, and freaks out your windows friends when you show them the new Linux port of Adobe Photoshop.  Watch them Google the heck out of it.  LOL.

Kevin

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​