replacing Windows w/ Linux

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: replacing Windows w/ Linux
I have an odd question … suppose I wanted to take a fairly vanilla Windows computer with Win 7 ... 10 on it, like your typical Dell or Lenovo or Asus laptop or desktop; suck that OS install with all the apps into a VirtualBox VM; copy that VM off to a backup drive; fully reformat the HDD and install some friendly version of Linux; and finally load up VirtualBox and then the VM and make the VM work so it looked and acted virtually identical to how it did before.

So, I’m not asking HOW to do this … I wouldn’t have much trouble doing it myself.

What I’m wondering is if there are any resources around that would explain how an average person could do it without much trouble? Videos, books, eBooks, tutorials, whatever.

Also, for anybody who’s been through this process, how long did it take? Or how long would you expect it to take based on similar experiences?

-David Schwartz