Re: replacing Windows w/ Linux

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: replacing Windows w/ Linux
Lots of ways to do this. From mounting the physical drive/partition in your
VM (kinda weird feeling but works well) to using various disk imaging tools.

really i would do the research on your desired VM platform and make choices
based on that.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 3:06 PM David Schwartz <>
wrote:

> I have an odd question … suppose I wanted to take a fairly vanilla Windows
> computer with Win 7 … 10 on it, like your typical Dell or Lenovo or Asus
> laptop or desktop; suck that OS install with all the apps into a VirtualBox
> VM; copy that VM off to a backup drive; fully reformat the HDD and install
> some friendly version of Linux; and finally load up VirtualBox and then the
> VM and make the VM work so it looked and acted virtually identical to how
> it did before.
>
> So, I’m not asking HOW to do this … I wouldn’t have much trouble doing it
> myself.
>
> What I’m wondering is if there are any resources around that would explain
> how an average person could do it without much trouble? Videos, books,
> eBooks, tutorials, whatever.
>
> Also, for anybody who’s been through this process, how long did it take?
> Or how long would you expect it to take based on similar experiences?
>
> -David Schwartz

Stephen