Re: Computer

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Computer

On 2018-11-06 10:02, Andrew McRobb wrote:
> I personally just pop open the case anyway, and get the
> motherboard model. That way you know what RAM/CPU you need to be
> looking for when upgrading.

What about dmidecode? Run dmidecode as root, then look through the
output for "Memory Device". If I do that, I get 2 4096M DIMMS that are
DDR3 and "1866 CL10 Series", but that might not be quite enough info.
(Desktop DIMMs that are DDRx should all have the same pinout, shouldn't
they?) It'll tell you what exactly your CPU is too if you need that.

>> Hmmmmmm..... I think it may be I need a new GPU. I got a 360 image
>> open in GIMP [...] every time I change a value it redraws the image
>> block -by block slowly. My current GPU is:
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
>> [AMD/ATI] RV770 [Radeon HD 4850]

Make sure that the GPU is actually being used. This is an older card,
but it should render things faster than that. "lsmod | grep radeon"
should show that radeon's been loaded. Look through the output of
glxinfo. There should be a "direct rendering: yes" and "Accelerated:
yes" and probably an "OpenGL renderer string: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0,
4.17.4, LLVM 6.0.1)" ... well, not that exactly, but there should be a
DRM and probably an LLVM in that item. I had to do some tweaking to get
the GPU happy with Steam on Gentoo. I hope they've made this less
necessary on Ubuntu, but I am fairly pessimistic about these things.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity