Re: Computer

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: manuel
Subject: Re: Computer
The main weakness in your GPU is not the compute power (for this use case)
but the lack of video ram. so the suggestions Andrew made stand. But system
memory is a huge improvement.

sudo lshw and sudo lshw -short both can give you useful details. You can
also use the following.
CPU:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
Memory
cat /proc/meminfo

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 10:03 AM Andrew McRobb <>
wrote:

> I don't know the full specs of a 360 image and your PC, but I would at
> least recommend upgrading to a 550 or 560 Radeon. (50-80 bucks at Fry's
> Electronic). Seems to play the latest games fine even on Proton/Steam and
> it seems to manipulate images very quickly. Try that out and see how it
> goes first before upgrading anything else.
>
> A lot of image editors these days depend on GPU. So that should help speed
> up Gimp. I personally just pop open the case anyway, and get the
> motherboard model. That way you know what RAM/CPU you need to be looking
> for when upgrading.
>
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 4:37 PM Michael <> wrote:
>
>> I got a great computer but I need more RAM. Currently I have 8 gig. Is
>> there a way to tell the type of RAM I need w/o cracking the case?
>> Hmmmmmm..... I think it may be I need a new GPU. I got a 360 image open in
>> GIMP and I am trying to manipulate the view with GEGL Operation
>> panorama-projection and every time I change a value it redraws the image
>> block -by block slowly. My current GPU is:
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
>> RV770 [Radeon HD 4850]
>>
>> Do I need a new one or do I need to activate it or something like that?

Stephen