Re: Connecting to a home server from outside the local lan

+ (text/html)
Author: Dhruva Lokegaonkar
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Connecting to a home server from outside the local lan
There's two things you can do.

If you have a dynamic public ip then you can set up a dynamic dns
service that automatically changes DNS settings if you ip changes.

The other thing you can do it use a tunneling service. There are free
tunnels available (like ngrok) but for nextcloud, you will need to get
an external server can set up a tunnel with it.

Outsider <--> External Server with Public IP <--> Server inside your LAN

For this, you can create a ssh portforward. There's plenty tutorials online.

On 11/6/18 8:44 PM, Steven M wrote:

> Inspired in part by recent dropbox changes I'm thinking of taking a
> small box I have laying around and turning it into a nextcloud server
> (it doesn't hurt that even without making a single upgrade I'd get a
> significant jump in drive space). Being on residential internet I
> don't have an IP address that's guaranteed to stay the same so what
> are the current options to be able to access it from by tablet or
> laptop when I'm away from home?

Dhruva Lokegaonkar
<mailto:dhruva@lokegaonkar.in>
lokegaonkar.in <https://lokegaonkar.in>