Connecting to a home server from outside the local lan

+ (text/html)
Author: Steven M
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Connecting to a home server from outside the local lan
Inspired in part by recent dropbox changes I'm thinking of taking a small box I have laying around and turning it into a nextcloud server (it doesn't hurt that even without making a single upgrade I'd get a significant jump in drive space). Being on residential internet I don't have an IP address that's guaranteed to stay the same so what are the current options to be able to access it from by tablet or laptop when I'm away from home?