Re: Suggestions for re-tasking a Dell PowerEdge 2450

Author: Thomas Cameron
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Suggestions for re-tasking a Dell PowerEdge 2450
On 06/12/2012 04:20 PM, James Dugger wrote:
> I have inherited a Dell PowerEdge 2450 and want to re-task it somewhere
> in my network running as a linux server. It was being used two months
> ago as a VPN server running Windows 2003 Server.
>
> Here are the secs:
>
> 2 - 866 MHz Pentium Processors
> Bus 133MHz
> cache 256 KB
> 2048 MB ECC SDRAM
> built in adaptec hardware RAID controller
> SCSI dual channel backplane - w/1 daughter card installed
>
> 4 - 3.5 hot swap drivebays

Man, that thing is going to suck LOTS of power and pump out LOTS of heat.

If it were me, I'd sell it on craigslist or eBay and use the cash to buy
a modern multicore motherboard, memory, and processor in a desktop case.
Seriously, for a few hundred bucks you can get a system that sips power
comparatively, has many more - and much faster - CPUs, and has as much
more more memory.

I've given up trying to repurpose machines that old. The cost in power
alone over the course of a year makes it smarter to get rid of it.

TC