Re: Suggestions for re-tasking a Dell PowerEdge 2450

+ (text/html)
Author: James Dugger
To: PLUG-Discuss, PLUG-tagcose
Subject: Re: Suggestions for re-tasking a Dell PowerEdge 2450
Sorry, butter fingers I hit send instead of return somehow.

Here are the secs:

2 - 866 MHz Pentium Processors
Bus 133MHz
cache 256 KB
2048 MB ECC SDRAM
built in adaptec hardware RAID controller
SCSI dual channel backplane - w/1 daughter card installed
    (Only one channel is available with only 1 daughter card)
4 - 3.5 hot swap drivebays
Backplane is SCSI 80pin sockets and takes Ultra2, ultra160, ultra320 drives

Drives that came with it:
1 - 73GB Ultra320
1 - 34GB Ultra320
2 - 17GB Ultra160's

Case is a 2U Dell case with 2 power supplies - tied into a redundant board
Optical drive and room for one more 3.5 bay under the optical.

This rack server is a Tank. I know a lot of businesses that have used
these in the past on Windows server systems.

My first thought was a NAS server however to take full advantage of
hardware RAID I would need to find a second daughter card to take fully use
the dual channel backplane and controller it will work as one channel but
just slower. Also since the drives are 1 - old, 2 - small in size, and 3 -
different sizes they don't really lend much for a quality RAID. Buying
larger Ultrascsi disks (320 GBO) or higher is very cost prohibitive.

I could try and pull out the backplane add a PCI SATA controller card and
populate the drive bays with 3.5 inch SATA HDD's and use software RAID, but
I would be losing probably the most valuable thing on the system the
hardware controller and backplane system.

I have thought maybe of using it as a VPN server running OpenVPN and
setting it up as an edgerouter. I have installed a minimal copy of Ubuntu
10.04 LTS Server on it and it is running okay though there are times when
it boots into buzybox and gives me the initramfs prompt. I believe that
this is because Grub times out before the hardware RAID controller spins up
the boot drive.

Any thoughts/recommendations on re-tasking this beast?

--
James