Re: Urgent: need to ID some Network Manager icons - STAT!

+ (text/html)
Author: Lisa Kachold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Urgent: need to ID some Network Manager icons - STAT!
Hi Derek,

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Derek Trotter <>wrote:

> What devices cause interference in the 5ghz band?

The 5 GHz band with 23 non-overlapping channels provides cleaner reception
with less interference. Also, knowing that the 5 GHz band has been less
heavily trafficked, more and more small businesses have been moving their
wireless networks to that frequency, expecting to find zero interference
and a more reliable Wi-Fi network.

While it’s true that fewer devices currently operate on 5 GHz, there are
enough now to cause some interference. Wi-Fi network components transmit
data on this band along with radar and digital satellites.

There also are a handful of point-to-point and point-to-multipoint
devices that exist that transmit at 5 GHz.
The FCC's new Spectrum Dashboard is actually a nice tool for looking
into who owns licenses in different frequencies and for different
services in your area.

http://reboot.fcc.gov/reform/systems/spectrum-dashboard

> On 6/13/2012 11:15, Michael Butash wrote:
>
> Tons of things do, old cordless, legacy proprietary wireless
> mice/keyboard/remote controls, ir-replacements, random bits of
> pseudo-ethernet devices (sonos audio system comes to mind), bluetooth, and
> most anything else "wireless" defacto runs in 2.4ghz, including 99.9% of
> wireless computers blasting out torrents (literally) of packetized and
> attuned rf.
>
> I won't reiterate a plethora of wireless bits, but 2.4 bites for lack of
> total non-overlapping channels, it's more or less the cesspool every device
> defaults to, good, bad, or ugly.
>
> I did read somewhere that supposed there was a 3.6ghz spectrum released
> for general consumption to give more network band, and there's always 5ghz,
> which is preferred with 802.11a, or 802.11n that can use either band.
>
> -mb
>

> On 06/12/2012 11:06 PM, Derek Trotter wrote:
>
> It's unfortunate that someone deliberately comes up with something like
> this that adds a lot of junk to a band that's already full of sources of
> interference. Then there's that 2.4 ghz source you have in your kitchen
> or office breakroom. I get my internet
> connection wirelessly via the library across the street. My connection
> dies whenever I use the microwave. While I'm waiting on my burrito to
> cook, I can scan for available networks but won't find any.
>
> Besides cordless phones, what sources of interference are there to
> 802.11n networks?

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice