Re: samba help

Author: Dan Lund
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: samba help
I believe RHEL3 comes with samba 2.x am I correct?
If that's the case, there needs to be an NT domain emulator (I believe
that's what it's called?) running on one of the domain controllers in
order to perform NT4 calls. That's how I do it here, the problem with
that config is it makes the NT domain emulator machine a single point
of failure.

If it's Samba 3.x, you can use this to join it to the AD domain:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Active_Directory

When your running in a domain environment, share's are usually only
available to authenticated users.

On 4/17/07, der.hans <> wrote:
> moin moin,
>
> I'm trying to advertise shares from a RHEL3 box to an m$ domain.
>
> I gather one must first get the box to join the domain. The account that
> joins the domain has to have administrator rights?
>
> I have been given a userid and password for the domain, but they're not
> working.
>

> $ smbclient -L $pdcname -U $username
> Password:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>
> That's when I type the password.
>
> If I just hit return I get info as the anonymous user.
>
> $ smbclient -L $pdcname -U $username
> Password:
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[$domain] OS=[Windows Server 2003 $stuff] Server=[Windows Server
> 2003 $otherstuff]
>
>          Sharename       Type      Comment
>          ---------       ----      -------
> Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[$domain] OS=[Windows Server 2003 $stuff] Server=[Windows Server
> 2003 $otherstuff]

>          Server               Comment
>          ---------            -------
>          $linuxbox                Samba Server
>          $pdcname

>          Workgroup            Master
>          ---------            -------
>          $domain              $pdcname
>          $something_else      $something_else_else

> I've tried the following combinations, but they all provide the behavior
> listed above.
>
> $ smbclient -L $pdcname -W $domain -U $username
> $ smbclient -L $pdcname -U $domain/$username
> $ smbclient -L $pdcname -U $domain\$username
> $ smbclient -L $pdcname -U '$domain\$username'
> $ smbclient -L $pdcname -U '$domain/$username'
>
> I need to allow m$ boxen ( many will become GNU/Linux boxen, but first
> I have to get what's there working ) to mount their homedirs from the
> GNU/Linux box.
>
> I figure the smbclient stuff is a low-end test of functionality. Is there
> something simpler I should be trying? Am I missing something for
> connecting?
>

> Feel free to presume I know nothing about m$ domains and samba :).
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  https://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.CiscoLearning.org/
> #  "Human kind cannot bear very much reality."
> #    -- T.S. Eliot, "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton"

"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte