samba help

Author: der.hans
To: quatsch
Subject: samba help
moin moin,

I'm trying to advertise shares from a RHEL3 box to an m$ domain.

I gather one must first get the box to join the domain. The account that
joins the domain has to have administrator rights?

I have been given a userid and password for the domain, but they're not
working.

$ smbclient -L $pdcname -U $username
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

That's when I type the password.

If I just hit return I get info as the anonymous user.

$ smbclient -L $pdcname -U $username
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[$domain] OS=[Windows Server 2003 $stuff] Server=[Windows Server
2003 $otherstuff]

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[$domain] OS=[Windows Server 2003 $stuff] Server=[Windows Server
2003 $otherstuff]

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------
         $linuxbox                Samba Server
         $pdcname

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------
         $domain              $pdcname
         $something_else      $something_else_else

I've tried the following combinations, but they all provide the behavior
listed above.

$ smbclient -L $pdcname -W $domain -U $username
$ smbclient -L $pdcname -U $domain/$username
$ smbclient -L $pdcname -U $domain\$username
$ smbclient -L $pdcname -U '$domain\$username'
$ smbclient -L $pdcname -U '$domain/$username'

I need to allow m$ boxen ( many will become GNU/Linux boxen, but first
I have to get what's there working ) to mount their homedirs from the
GNU/Linux box.

I figure the smbclient stuff is a low-end test of functionality. Is there
something simpler I should be trying? Am I missing something for
connecting?

Feel free to presume I know nothing about m$ domains and samba :).

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Human kind cannot bear very much reality."
#    -- T.S. Eliot, "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton"