Re: samba help

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: samba help
Am 17. Apr, 2007 schwätzte Kurt Granroth so:

> der.hans wrote:
>> moin moin,
>>
>> I'm trying to advertise shares from a RHEL3 box to an m$ domain.
>>
>> I gather one must first get the box to join the domain. The account that
>> joins the domain has to have administrator rights?
>
> No and yes, in that order. You don't need to join a domain in order to
> advertise the shares. Samba will broadcast your info ('nmbd' will, I
> believe) and any Windows box within shouting distance will see it.

Should, but they aren't. Needs to be working via the domain anyway.

> If you do want to join a domain, then yes, you need to have admin rights
> on the domain to do so. Joining a domain is mostly just useful for the
> shared authentication that goes along with it. That way, you won't have
> different logins when mounting shares.

That's one of the features needed.

>> I have been given a userid and password for the domain, but they're not
>> working.
>>
>> $ smbclient -L $pdcname -U $username
>> Password:
>> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>
> I typically run it like so:
>
> $ smbclient -W $domain -U $username //server/share
> Password: $password

That isn't working either. I guess the username/password combo I was given
doesn't work.

> I can't say I've ever used -L before. Looks like that will return a
> list of all the services, though, so it should work for you if the
> domain, username, and password are correct. Are you sure they are? Try
> running with verbose mode to see what's happing.

Do you mean debuglevel? I don't see a verbose flag.

> If you are expecting to join the domain, you're going to be using
> smbpasswd instead of smbclient. Something like:
>
> $ smbpasswd -j $domain -U $adminuser

Yeah, I'd been trying something like that. I figure if I can't even auth
to the domain I won't be able to join it.

> There are a bunch more steps, though, so I suggest finding a good
> "joining a domain HOWTO" if that's really what you want to do.

I'm going to review the one JT posted. I've already looked at a couple,
but they weren't making sense to me.

danke,

der.hans
#  kill telnet, long live ssh - der.hans