Re: samba help

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: samba help
der.hans wrote:
> moin moin,
>
> I'm trying to advertise shares from a RHEL3 box to an m$ domain.
>
> I gather one must first get the box to join the domain. The account that
> joins the domain has to have administrator rights?

No and yes, in that order. You don't need to join a domain in order to
advertise the shares. Samba will broadcast your info ('nmbd' will, I
believe) and any Windows box within shouting distance will see it.

If you do want to join a domain, then yes, you need to have admin rights
on the domain to do so. Joining a domain is mostly just useful for the
shared authentication that goes along with it. That way, you won't have
different logins when mounting shares.

> I have been given a userid and password for the domain, but they're not
> working.
>
> $ smbclient -L $pdcname -U $username
> Password:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

I typically run it like so:

$ smbclient -W $domain -U $username //server/share
Password: $password

I can't say I've ever used -L before. Looks like that will return a
list of all the services, though, so it should work for you if the
domain, username, and password are correct. Are you sure they are? Try
running with verbose mode to see what's happing.

If you are expecting to join the domain, you're going to be using
smbpasswd instead of smbclient. Something like:

$ smbpasswd -j $domain -U $adminuser

There are a bunch more steps, though, so I suggest finding a good
"joining a domain HOWTO" if that's really what you want to do.

Kurt