Re: Intel 82801G Sound Issues

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Intel 82801G Sound Issues
Thanks for all the effort Alan but I had already given up after several days
of frustrations. As stated from the beginning, my preference is for
ubuntu. I was only trying SUSE because it ran the native 1440x900
reasonably well. Much of my frustration though has been with SUSE. I
checked with Fry's and they wll take the machine back so I am going to do
that and cool off before trying again to replace my old laptop.

I remain curious as always but that is not worth inconveniencing others to
satisfy. In case you are curious I will answer you questions below.

On 10/23/06, Alan Dayley <> wrote:

> Dazed_75 wrote:
> > This is getting too frustrating since Fry's will let me return the
> > machine. As I had already written the following and this is apparently
> > a common problem I am submitting the email. I would still be interested
> > in comments, but don't waste time on it as I am ready to give up.
>
> OK, here I am looking at my settings.
>
> > The information I found is at:
> > http://www.gidnetwork.com/b-106.html
> > http://www.alsa-project.org/ (just the home page for:)
> >

> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=ICH+southbridge+HD-audio+and+modem.&chip=ICH6%2C+ICH6M%2C+ICH7%2C+ESB2&module=hda-intel
>
> These look like good information. Did you already check on all the
> settings they describe? I assume you did.

Yes, I did as much as I knew how to.

> Shortest form is that the articles say I should have a module called
> > snd_seq_oss running and it appears do not but have a snd_seq_device
> > [instead?]. As this is SUSE 10.1 it is also possible that they renamed
> > it or incorporated the alsa stuff into their .._device version.
>
> Neither of the pages you site above say anything about snd_seq_oss. Did
> you forget a reference somewhere? I don't think it matters since I
> don't have snd_seq_oss running either.

Actually, the 3rd one does where it wants you to:

> Now insert the modules into the kernel.
>
> modprobe snd-hda-intel;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss
>
> <snip>

> Comments:
>
> 1. Note the modinfo output shows that you are using an smp kernel while
> I am not. Did you check your kernel configuration settings? That first
> web pager reference states:

Not exactly sure what configuration settings you are asking about. Yes, I
am running 2.6.16 (smp because one web site said I needed that for the core2
duo to work right). I did not go through turning off alsa because 1) my
kernel seemd to already be running exactly the alsa version these guys
wanted installed, 2) I did not know how to turn it off, and 3) I did not
understand what to download and make from the mirrors. If you want me to
and tell me how, I could try swapping to a non-smp kernel before I restore
XP MCE for returning the machine to Fry's

"Kernel 2.6.16 Note: Interestingly enough, the driver for the Intel HD
> Audio in kernel 2.6.16 is broken. Everything appears to work fine, but
> alas there is absolutely no sound no matter what you do. I was able to
> get my sound card working by installing the latest ALSA driver, lib and
> utility.
>
> If you need to do this, you need to turn off ALSA support in the kernel.
> You still need to enable sound support though:"
>
> We are both running the 2.6.16 kernel but, since yours is smp maybe the
> packager for your binary enabled the ALSA driver in the kernel, thus
> breaking your sound as the quote above states.
>
> 2. The list of snd related drivers is a bit different but appears the
> same for the drivers that I think "count" for this situation. Does
> anything jump out at you or anyone else?
>
> At the moment I think the kernel setting of the ALSA driver is the first
> thing to check. I did not check the settings of my own kernel. I'll
> have to do that as soon as I remember how to derive the settings out of
> the kernel binary.

Dazed_75 (Larry) <--- gets more dazed as this sails right over his head

How do you want to proceed from here?

See above

Alan

and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss